? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, June 12, 2009

Lessons Learned

My mother-in-law had hip replacement surgery two weeks ago now. My husband and I had decided we definitely were going to be there for that and we were. We arrived very late on a Tuesday night for her surgery which was scheduled the following Wed. morning, very early might I add! We went to bed at midnightish and got up at fourish...ouch!

All went well with the surgery and the next day physical therapy started. She asked me to be her coach so I went along with her, listened, and followed instructions. We spent the next several days running back and forth to the hospital, hanging out in the hospital, visiting and encouraging her, and of course, going to therapy. I am so glad we were there. Her husband just couldn't handle being up at a hospital all day and without us, she would have spent much of her time by herself.

Steve left Sunday to return home, and I stayed for another week. My mother-in-law is very independent. I wasn't sure if I was going to be in her way more than a help to her, but I jumped in anyway hoping I could encourage her. It was such a sweet time to get to know her on a different level. She had to lay down most of the day which left her alone in her bedroom. I would crawl up in bed next to her. We did or should I say attempted to do some puzzles together, and we talked. (I did master my first sudoku!!!) She talked about her life, some her early experiences, and I talked about me, about my life. There were a few tense moments when the situation was suffocating to her-this strong independent woman who needed help dressing and taking a shower...but...despite the stress and tension between her and her husband....it was such a learning experience for me.

I not only had a great time with her, but had some funny moments with my father-in-law. He is sure a character...and that is putting it mildly! Not enough room here to to talk about all of that!

I had a lot of time to myself which I took advantage of reading two books and catching up on some Bible studies I was working on! I haven't finished two books in a week for as long as I can remember. One I was reading was Sheet Music. It is a Christian marriage intimacy book which my husband read earlier this year. (a little graphic and not sure I agreed with everything, but I would still recommend it for the points the author makes.) This was a good time for me to read and gain insight on how to better our relationship. After all, empty nest is right around the corner.

I came home with a renewed focus on my marriage, a new commitment for my life, a new resolve to achieving balance in my life, and last but not least....a new appreciation for the woman my mother-in-law is!

0 comments: